LLANDRINDOD WELLS POST OFFICE
Architect: Henry Seccombe
Selected bibliographical references
Hereford Times 11 Dec 1937, p. 12
Post Office Magazine Jan 1938, p. 38
Opened: 8 Dec 1937
From: Hereford Times 11 Dec 1937, p. 12
The increase in postal, telegraph, and telephone work at Llandrindod Wells and the extension of the area for Llandridnod Wells is now the head office, rendered the premises at the junction of Park Terrace and Park Crescent inadequate for present needs, and a new up-to-date office has been provided and was formally opened on Wednesday. Within the last few years enormous progress has been made in the extension of facilities in all departments. Daily delivery of letters now takes place throughout the large area controlled from the Head Office; Sunday collections have been extended; new sub-offices and telephone kiosks opened; the use of motor mail vans introduced; new letter boxes and automatic stamp machines erected; telephone kiosks provided, and telegraph and telephone facilities greatly extended. The new office faces Station Crescent, but the site also extends to Temple Street, while the main entrance for public business faces the north end of Middleton Street. The building is Georgian in character. Above a strongly treated stone base, two storeys on mellow toned brickwork terminates in a moulded stone cornice, above which is a steeply pitched roof covered with Welsh slates from the Tirch quarries. Due emphasis is given to the public and staff entrances with stone pedimented doorways, and over the former, the Royal Cypher and Crown has been carved. The garage and workshop accommodation occupies the site on Temple Street, and the elevation treatment of this frontage will be similar in treatment and material to the main building. Panel heating has been installed and the furnishings are modern throughout. Complete provision is made for telegraph and telephone service, the staff, cooking, engineering, motors, mechanics, etc. The architect was Mr. H.E. Seccombe, of H.M. Office of Works, and the contractors were Messrs. T.F. Howells Ltd., Caerphilly ...