BANCHORY POST OFFICE
46 High Street
Architect: Sutherland & George
Selected bibliographical references
Aberdeen Daily Journal 30 Sep 1910, p. 3; 7 Oct 1910, p. 3
Current use: Retail premises
From: Aberdeen Daily Journal 30 September 1910, p. 3
The new building at Banchory, half of which is to occupied as the post office and postmaster's house, is situated in High Street, a site adjoining the Banchory Hotel, and is the property of the Misses Gray, bakers and confectioners. Built of the light-coloured Kemnay granite, the building presents striking and handsome appearance, and, occupying it does a conspicuous position, has greatly enhanced, from an architectural point of view, the appearance of that part of the street. The public office is, of course, in the front room of the ground floor, and, although not particularly large and roomy itself, will doubt, be found be sufficiently so for the transaction of the business which it is intended shall dealt with there, seeing that the new building accommodation has been provided in different rooms for the various departments of post office work. The furnishings throughout the whole the rooms are of the most substantial and modern pattern — indeed it has been said by those in a position to know that there are few, if any, post offices today more handsomely furnished than the new one at Banchory. The counter in the front office is a beautiful piece of work, and the floor is of inlaid wood. To the rear the building is situated the sorting room, a large place, particularly well-lighted and ventilated, and the entrance to this and other rooms used by the postmen, etc., is by the back and side doors, thus rendering unnecessary for them to have access the front office. There are also a postmaster's private room, postmen's and telegraph messengers' rooms, ladies' retiring and cloak-rooms, telegraph operators' room, workmen's tool-room, etc. The building will heated by hot-air radiators, one which is placed in each of the principal apartments. The heating apparatus is accommodated in the underground cellar.