HATFIELD POST OFFICE AND TELEPHONE EXCHANGE
Great North Road
Architect: Frederick Llewellyn
Selected bibliographical references
Builder 20 Mar 1936, p. 578 (illustration), p. 590
Country Life 6 Jul 1945, p. 22
Opened: 25 Mar 1936 (plaque on building)
Current use: Office accommodation
Supplementary information: Elevations exhibited at the Royal Academy Exhibition 1935. The Country Life article caption reads: "The Post Office sets chain stores an example in adapting their premises to the street-scapes in which they stand."
From: The Builder 20 Mar 1936, p. 590
... has been planned to meet the development of postal and telephone business, and with the object of providing the maximum of efficient service to the public, with simplified working of the staff administration ... The elevations have been designed in brick - the general treatment being a free rendering of late Georgian ... The facing bricks throughout will be multi-tone, handmade, and the roof of the front block will be covered with hand-made roofing tiles ... The interior of the public office will be of simple design, with a dado and a counter finished with mahogany veneer ... The building, which is being erected by Messrs. J. Honour and Son, of Tring, will be faced with "Sancrofyt", hand-made, multitone facing bricks ...