KIRRIEMUIR POST OFFICE (1896)
32 High Street
From: Dundee Courier 16 June 1896, p. 6
No longer will the "Thrums" Post Office "lurk in the crooked street that jerks off from the north-west corner the Square." To such an extent has business increased in the Kirriemuir office during recent years that the postal authorities have found it necessary to secure premises wherein accommodation and conveniences more in keeping with present day traffic and requirements can be had than in the building in Glengate Street, where the local Post Office has been located for over half-a-century. At first looked as if considerable difficulty would be experienced in procuring a central site, but learning of the removal of the Constabulary Office from the Town House to the new Police Buildings, erected in Reform Street last year by the Forfar County Council, the Post Office officials at once entered into negotiations with the Earl of Home, the superior of the burgh, through his representative, the Baron Bailie, Mr T. M. Wilson, solicitor, for a lease of the Town House. This they were successful in securing, and the drawing of the plans of the proposed alterations was entrusted to the capable hands of Mr D. Waterston, architect, Estate Office, Glamis. The plans, on being prepared, were submitted to the Earl of Home and the postal authorities for consideration, and eliciting the approval of both parties estimates for the work were received, and the contracts duly settled ... Preparations for the commencement cf operations were made last week. The whole of the interior, consisting of Burgh Courtroom, cells, Court Officer's residence, and the vacant Constabulary Office, will be entirely cleared out. The remaining upright walls, in some parts several feet thick, will then be thinned down in order to place as much interior accommodation the disposal of the postal authorities as possible. The present stair is also to be entirely removed, and the main or public entrance to the office proper, which is to be located on the ground floor, will at the point where the steps lead to the interior at present. In the office a large counter will run the entire length of the apartment, which is 18 feet square, at which the money order business, sale stamps, registration of letters, and reception of parcels and telegrams will be conducted. In order make the office as lightsome and airy as possible, two new large windows are to opened out in the west wall facing Mrs Millar's property. For the use of the postmen and other officials, a private entrance will also be opened at the back the building which looks into Bailie Street. Access to the upper flat, which will be converted into a large and commodious sorting-room, 26 by 18 feet, and a handsome telegraphists' room, 16 by 10 feet, will be by an inside stair, communicating from the rear. A lift, which will no doubt prove conducive to the saving of time and trouble, is also to be erected near the rear entrance. The whole building will be efficiently ventilated, several lavatories will be introduced, while the general fittings will of the most modern description. To the left of the Post Office, on the ground floor, and facing the High Street, will be situated the chemist's shop conducted by Mr David Buchanan, the respected postmaster. Here also new accessories and conveniences will be introduced, and communication between the shop and office will be had a private dcor in the interior. For over twelve years Mr Buchanan has proved an efficient postmaster, and given entire satisfaction to the postal authorities and the public generally.