Architect: W. James Hindle
Selected bibliographical references
Bradford Observer 16 Jun 1836, p. 6
Leeds Intelligencer 30 Jun 1838, p. 8; 15 Dec 1838, p. 5
Sheffield Iris 14 Jun 1846, p. 3
Opened: 1 Jan 1839
This was not a purpose-built office, although the first occupants of these public rooms (later known as the Commerce Building) were the post office, a subscription library and news-room, and later by a variety of institutions and businesses. In c.1870 the portico was removed as part of a road-widening scheme: the supporting columns were re-erected in Locke Park where they remain today.