LEWES POST OFFICE
65 High Street
Year: ?1881 (reconstructed 1934)
Listed building status: Grade II
Selected bibliographical references
Houghton, John A Look at Lewes: the High Street of Lewes from St. Anne’s Church to Lewes Bridge Lewes : Tartarus Press, 1998
Orchard, Stephen C. and Smith, William L.H. The History of the Post Office in Lewes CEM Publications, 1992.
Sussex Express 5 Oct 1934, p.15 (re-opening after reconstruction)
John Houghton states that the Post Office began at these premises in 1881 as A Morris, a bookseller and Post Office. Arthur Morris joined the Lewes postal service in 1851, and became Postmaster in 1853: he retired in 1898. An article of appreciation was published in the Sussex Agricultural Journal of 8 Jan 1898, in which it suggest that that the post office moved to the premises (previously occupied by a "ladies' school" in c.1877.