CAMBORNE POST OFFICE
15 Chapel Street
Architect: Oliver Caldwell
Listed building status: Grade II
Selected bibliographical references
Cornishman 29 Mar 1900, p. 3
Royal Cornwall Gazette 29 Mar 1900, p. 3
Western Morning News 14 Jun 1935, p. 3
Opened: 25 Mar 1900
The original building (dated 1899) (currently a Royal Mail Delivery Office) ceased to be a post office when an adjacent building was opened on 13 June 1935. This may well have been designed by an Office of Works architect.
Adjacent building opened: 13 Jun 1935.
From: The Cornishman 29 March 1900, p. 3
The new post-office is now completed, and not only will it prove boon to the commerce and inhabitants of Camborne but is just what we have been in need of for a considerable time and much praise is due to Mr. Thomas, the post-master, for getting tbe postal authorities to give their consent for such building to be erected. Mr. Nettle, builder, Chapel-street, made the counter, which is a fine piece of tasteful workmanship, which has been admired by all. The top is of solid mahogany and I should imagine is among the best in Cornwall. Duties will commence there on Sunday, March 25th. The building itself is of granite and presents such an appearance that it is a great improvement to Chapel-street. To celebrate the opening a dinner was provided in the office on Thursday evening, when about 40 of the employees and workmen sat down a capital repast, catered for by Mr. T. B. Marks, which was done full justice to. Several invitations were sent out and the following guests were present: Messrs T. H. Cadwell, J.P., John Vivian, J.P., C.C., Joseph Vivian. T. L. Lowry. and F. W. Thomas, with Mr. O. Caldwell, of Penzance, the architect. Mr. T. H. Cadwell, J. P., chairman of tbe Urban district-council presided. On removal of tbe cloth a smoker was held. During the evening songs were sung by Messrs. Herbert Thomas, J. R. Tipper, Millett, and W. Blewett. A vote of thanks to ihe chairman brought an enjoyable evening to a close.