DRIFFIELD POST OFFICE
Middle Street North
Selected bibliographical references
Driffield Times 25 Mar 1911, p. 4
From: Driffield Times 25 March 1911, p. 4
On Sunday the Post Office situate in the Market Place was closed for public business, and on Monday the new Office situate in Middle Street North was opened. The exterior the buildings has called forth groat deal comment as to its appearance, and although it may, in this respect not come up to the public idea of what such a place should be like, there is no doubt that the inside of the office leaves very little to be desired. The counter space ius much larger, and there is a spacious sorting office behind; while the instrument room, postmen’s retiring room, and linesman's room are all on the ground floor. A wide staircase, at the foot of which the telegraph messengers will be accommodated, leads to the first floor, on which are three large, airey rooms — the Postmaster’s office, telephone room, the lady clerks’ retiring room; there is also a small store room on this floor. The yard accomodation is ample, and there is a store room for carts, cycles, etc. The Postmaster's residence adjoins the main building. There is no doubt of the work having increased greatly at the office during the last few years, the latest addition the work of the staff being the payment the Old-Age Pension, the recipients of which, however, do not appear to have taken much interest in the new offices.