DARLINGTON POST OFFICE
Architect: ?Office of Works (job architect unknown)
Year: c. mid 1860s (enlarged 1873)(1902 extension to Crown Street, architect ?Office of Works (job architect unknown)(c.1912 enlargement of Crown Street premises, architect Charles Wilkinson)
Listed building status: Grade II
British Postal Museum & Archive: Darlington Portfolio File (photograph of Crown Street extension)
National Archives: WORK 13/520 (c. 1912 enlargement); 69/6 (photograph of Crown Street extension)
Selected bibliographical references
Builder 15 Feb 1902, p. 163
Northern Echo 2 Oct 1873, p. 3
28-32 Northgate closed: 1980s
Current use: Retail premises
If, as is likely, this was an Office of Works design, it is not unreasonable to suggest that this building was designed by James Williams, who was at the time when this was built the architect within the Office of Works responsible for post office buildings.
From: The Builder 15 Feb 1902, p. 163
A beginning has been made with the enlargement of the Darlington Post Office. The new building will be three stories high and have a frontage to Crown-street of about 100ft. The basement is to be built of stone, and the two upper stories of brick, with stone facings. The basement will be occupied by a battery-room, engineers' stores, and boys' kitchen; and the ground-floor will contain a postmen's office, postmen's kitchen, and a number of other rooms. The first floor will have rooms for the sectional engineers, male and female clerks, also accommodation for storage purposes. It is intended to make certain alterations to the existing premises, so as to increase the size of the sorting-rooms. The contract has been let to Mr Shepherd, of York.